Friday, January 6, 2012

Beauty Routine

I get told quite a bit that I have "beautiful skin". It's strange for me, since only recently have I been happy with it! As a teenager (like every teenager) I had regular bouts of acne. I was diagnosed with Dysmenorrhea when I was about 15, and put onto oral birth control. My acne cleared, but with the use of drugstore products, my skin often felt dry and unhealthy. I then wore tons of makeup to cover up these flaws.

I've never been much of a believer in beauty products. To me, one should accept their attributes and flaws, and not spend thousands of dollars on "fixes". Recently, I switched to a Clinique line of products and have never been happier. When women ask me what my beauty routine is, this is what I say:

1. Water!!! Drink water, and lots of it. Seriously, the best health advice I was ever given was to drink water. I think "8 glasses a day" is a bit over the top, but drink as much as you need to so that you don't feel thirsty. I also add a bit of lemon for taste and digestive purposes! I also avoid coffee and soda, and choose various teas, or sparkling water instead.

2. Be Healthy. As a lover of pizza and Taco Supremes, I know eating healthy can be difficult. A year ago (!!!) I switched from being a vegan to a happy carnivore. I was vegetarian/vegan for about four years before that. I started eating meat again for several reasons, but overall I am happy with my decision. After the big switch, I ate very unhealthy, and slowly but surely started eating a healthy diet. Overall, I try to limit my fast food intake to "emergencies" only, and have cut out soda completely. It's all about balance!

3. Face Wash. I wash my face twice a day: once in the morning, and once at night during my shower. Both times I use a product called Clinique Liquid Facial Soap for Dry Combination skin. Before I also used it with the toner, but found the combination of the products was too drying. Of the line, it's my favorite, and even when I can't afford the other products, I always make sure to buy this.




4. Moisturizer. After washing my face I use a face moisturizer that is very similar to cold cream. In the morning I use, Clinique Superdefense SPF 25, and in the evening I use Clinique Youth Surge Night. I like how the morning moisturizer has sunscreen protection, and at night my face is protected with anti-aging ingredients. Aveeno also makes a GREAT drugstore moisturizer that is SPF 30. If I can't afford these, I buy that one!





The thing I like best about all three Clinique products is that, although they are expensive, they last a long time. Less is more! I only have to use a small amount of each product, so they last much longer than drugstore brands.

5. Makeup. I don't really do anything special for makeup. I used to spend a lot of money on MAC products, but have come to realize that I can get very similar products at the drugstore. I will say, that when I can afford it, I will always splurge for MAC liquid eyeliner. It's the one in the little pot, I can't remember what it's called, but it's FANTASTIC. Other than that, I use drugstore products. I'm cheap, so I usually buy whatever is on sale (eek) but prefer the True Match line by L'oreal in the neutral palest shade they have. I overall wear very little makeup: foundation, powder, blush, and mascara. If I'm going out, I might add lipstick or eyeliner, but I usually prefer less makeup.

6. Sleep. Lastly, I try to get between 8 and 9 hours of sleep every night. I like to wake up refreshed! I feel that it has an overall positive effect on my well being!


I hope this entry was helpful! If you have any beauty tips or advice, please let me know :)

xoxo
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment